Privacy & Legal
- Best Friends family of websites, including, but not limited to bestfriends.org , bestfriendsla.org, bestfriendsut.org, bestfriendsny.org, bestfriendsatl.org, blogs.bestfriends.org, shop.bestfriends.org, reservations.bestfriends.org, bestfriendsroadhouse.org, strutyourmutt.org, save-them-all.org, nkla.org, and nkut.org (collectively "Websites")
- Best Friends social media properties including, but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram (collectively “Social Media Sites”)
- Best Friends mobile applications including, but not limited to ResQWalk by Best Friends Animal Society and Strut Your Mutt®, all available for Apple iOS and Google Android operating systems (collectively “Applications”) (our Websites, Social Media Sites, and Applications may be generally referred to as our “Digital Properties”)
- Best Friends mail, email, and phone communications including, but not limited to marketing, event, and fundraising communications
Changes to the Policy
What information does Best Friends collect?
In several areas of our Digital Properties, Best Friends collects user-submitted personally identifiable information, such as your name, home address, email address, and telephone number.
Best Friends also collects anonymous demographic information, which cannot identify you personally, such as ZIP code, gender, or interests. We may append to the data you provide additional data from publicly available sources in an effort to enhance your relationship with Best Friends.
We may collect information about your interaction with our Digital Properties. For example, we may use website analytic tools on the Websites to retrieve information such as the site you came from or the keywords you used to find the Websites. We will also use technologies, such as cookies and pixel-based tracking, to collect information about the pages you view, the links you click on and other actions you take on the Websites. We use the aggregated information to provide a more useful and engaging experience to Website visitors. This information will sometimes be used to display content to you on our Websites, Applications or Social Media Sites.
In order to access certain areas on our Digital Properties, you may need to first complete certain steps to become either a registered user or a subscriber. During these steps, you may be required to provide us with personally identifiable information such as your name, ZIP code and email address. This information is used to help us understand who uses our Digital Properties, to operate and improve our Digital Properties, and to deliver the services or carry out the transactions you have requested.
Communication to Children
How Does Best Friends Secure My Information?
Best Friends provides visitors to our Digital Properties with a secure experience when making a donation or purchasing merchandise through them. We work with Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS) compliant vendors. When personal information is transmitted, it is protected through the use of industry-standard security technology, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol.
Even with these measures in place, users should use special caution when using publicly accessible computer terminals or transmitting personal information over unsecured wireless networks.
In addition, on certain Website pages like blogs and news stories, we offer visitors the opportunity to provide comments or other user-generated content. You may also be able to comment on Social Media Sites or while using our Applications. Any information that you disclose when posting a message to these areas, along with the screen name or ID used, becomes public. We are not responsible for any personally identifiable information that you choose to disclose in the public areas of our Websites, Applications or Social Media Sites.
How does Best Friends use my personal information?
Best Friends collects and uses your personal information to circulate news about Best Friends and its programs, to promote events, to acquire new members and subscribers, to operate the Best Friends Digital Properties, and for other internal marketing, promotional, and fundraising purposes.
Network Partners: Best Friends operates the No More Homeless Pets Network, a network of 501(c)(3) public charity animal welfare groups and government shelters (“Network Partners”) committed to saving the lives of homeless pets. Best Friends may share personally identifiable information with Network Partners for whom you elect to raise money at events like the yearly Strut Your Mutt fundraiser. While any data you provide when registering or participating in an event like Strut Your Mutt will be used by Best Friends and housed in the Best Friends database, we will not share your information with any other Network Partners that you have not elected to raise funds for. If you have concerns and do not wish to receive communications from your selected Network Partners, please contact us before registering for the event by sending an email to email@example.com.
Network Partners registered in the Best Friends Digital Community must agree to follow the privacy guidelines found here in order to participate:
Other: We may share aggregated demographic information with our funders, such as grant-making organizations and foundations, for the purpose of demonstrating that we are meeting our organization goals.
Best Friends may release personal information if we believe that the law or legal process served on Best Friends requires it, to protect and defend the rights or property of Best Friends, or in an emergency, to protect the personal safety of an identifiable visitor or the public.
The Best Friends Websites and Applications use "cookies" to ensure the integrity of the registration and transactional processes and to help you personalize your online or mobile experience. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your device’s hard drive or other storage medium by a Web page server. Most Web and mobile browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the Best Friends Digital Properties you visit.
To protect our visitors, cookies do not save payment or credit card information. You have the ability to accept or decline cookies.
How does Best Friends use pixel tracking?
Best Friends may use pixel-based tracking on its Websites to gather information about your website activities and display relevant content to you on the Websites and other media networks. Any personally identifiable information shared with or gathered by these media networks is considered confidential.
How Does Best Friends Use My Email Address?
Best Friends sends email to opted in addresses only. An individual who receives email from us may opt out of email at any time by following the opt-out instructions contained in any Best Friends email or by managing their preferences here. Please note: you may have an email profile on multiple Best Friends Websites, and may need to manage your email preferences on those sites individually.
How Can I Manage My Communications Preferences?
There are many self-service options available to manage your mail, email, and other communication preferences. If you need assistance in managing your preferences, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mail: The Direct Marketing Association (DMA) maintains a national Do Not Mail list. If you would like to remove yourself from all direct marketing lists, visit the DMA website to update your preferences.
- Email: In compliance with the CAN-SPAM Act, all Best Friends emails also have an unsubscribe link in their footer. Note that some email lists for affiliated Best Friends programs may require you to opt out specifically from those email communications. You can also manage your email communications preferences for Best Friends here.
- Phone: The FTC’s National Do Not Call Registry will allow you to remove a number from all telemarketing lists. Visit the National Do Not Call Registry website to update your preferences.
- Text / SMS: Best Friends sends SMS messages to subscribers through mGive. You can view mGive’s terms and conditions here. To stop receiving SMS communications from Best Friends, text STOP to 90999.
- Other communications preferences: For any other communications preferences you would like to change, please email email@example.com.
EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) Considerations
Best Friends does not intend to solicit users from within the European Economic Area (EEA) to visit its Websites, Applications, or Social Media Sites. Best Friends commits to continue to follow safe data handling processes and will follow European data privacy laws and regulations to the extent applicable.
If the processing of your personal information is subject to the GDPR, and your personal information is processed based on legitimate interests you have the right to object to the processing on grounds related to your specific situation.
If the processing of your personal information is subject to the GDPR, you also have certain rights to request to have your personal information deleted, request that your personal information be restricted, and to ask for portability of your personal information.
To the extent they are applicable, you can exercise these rights (including making these requests) by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put the statement “GDPR Privacy Rights” in the subject of your request, as well as your name, country, or region, and enough information to allow us to respond. If your use of our Websites, Applications, or Social Media Sites falls under GDPR regulations that are applicable to us, we agree, subject to any legally permitted exception or extension to respond to access, deletion, rectification, or suspension requests within 30 days of receipt of the request.